Sunday, April 20, 2014

MMA "NEW ""IT’S TIME! S&R PODCAST I'M JOINED BY OCTAGON GIRLS @Vanessa_Hanson & @Chrissy_Blair plus @TheSingleLife LISTEN UP by clicking link in my Instagram bio or at iTunes Soundcloud & BruceBuffer.com

Do you know how to fade into the background, becoming "invisible" to passersby? How are your ninja skills? Are you like a shadow? Here's a quick and practical story, 100% true, of how a little martial-arts experimentation helped me to develop "ninja-like" qualities... more or less.

Normally, I like to talk to people, do a little magic for the nice ones that I meet, and in general, have human contact when I am out and about. I am friendly -- what my mother calls "haimish."

Well, during my I.C.U. watches at the hospital (for a family member), I didn't really feel like talking to people. When I'd go outside for a little fresh air, the night security would come over and check me out, and "jaw my ear off."

I also got the "may I help you find someone?" question when I was in the hall, waiting for some sterile procedure to be performed, where I wasn't allowed in the room. (I also stepped out to allow privacy, at needed times.)

It was hard to be alone at the hospital.

How to Be Alone in a Crowd

So, early in the 5-day watch, I adjusted my behavior. I think these adjustments and the end result will interest you from a "practical martial-arts perspective":

In the beginning of my behavior adjustment, I tried to hide in the shadows, in order to avoid being noticed and engaged in conversation. It worked most of the time, but occasionally, one of the more alert guards checked the shadows. Oh, well.

One unwanted dialogue was enough. I adjusted, again....

I seemed to have more luck when I didn't hide all the way back in the shadow. I actually started looking for spots that I thought would go unnoticed by people. I also liked a variation in vertical-surface texture, like where there was a wall, a small walk-through space, and then a fat, cement column. The variety of shadow, light, and surface seemed to help me avoid the scrutiny of the guards better than before.

It was very important to me to be allowed to engage in my own thoughts -- for once.

Invisibility Strategy Change for Daytime

When my wife volunteered to take all of the rest of the night watches and leave me the days, my strategy changed a bit. My nighttime shadows vanished. No more invisibility.

My new goal was to figure out how to stand in a hallway without being approached. Noticed, maybe -- but ignored.

By the fifth day, I was able to stand quietly where doctors, nurses, custodial crew, dietitians, guests, patients, and administrators passed constantly without acknowledgment.

Note: Actually, a couple of the doctors gave me a warm smile, and one even said, "Good morning, sir." But that was it.

Of course, we think of the bad people and maybe the wannabe ninjas hiding in the shadows. But do you think there could be value for you in knowing this skill?

Martial-Arts Tips to Be Invisible

What about being able to shun the attention of people when you don't want to be approached? Here are just a few tips to get you started thinking this way:



Try to stay out of the flow of traffic.



Don't face a door where lots of people are exiting.



Wear "bland" clothing, probably casual, nothing formal or business-like that might get you noticed in a hospital.



I think you can take it from here.
mma_life

No comments:

Post a Comment