Friday, July 18, 2014

MMA Conor McGregor v Frankie Edgar Would Be 'Huge' at UFC New York Event, Says Coach | Bleacher Report MMA LIFE SHOP

How many times have you heard someone say something along the lines of 'that is such a clich??'? I would imagine that you cannot come up with an exact number, but it would be fair to say that you have probably heard it a few times. So what exactly is it that classes something as a clich??? A clich?? can be defined as something - a word, an idea, a scenario or just about anything - that has been overused, or it is something that is predictable or it is something that is considered unoriginal.

So using that definition of a clich??, how would it apply to something such as Taekwondo? It all depends on your perspective. If you are a Taekwondo student it is likely that you would argue that your martial art is not clich??d, and it is what it is. Indeed, students of the majority of martial arts are likely to believe that theirs is not clich??d. However, if you are new to martial arts in general, or if you have studied a variety of martial arts you will probably believe that there are certain things which are clich??d.

I have only studied Taekwondo so I cannot comment on elements from other martial arts. Nevertheless, from a Taekwondo perspective I can understand, and see, where some people would believe (or perhaps perceive) that there are things that are clich??d. For example, when I was looking to start my training I was informed by the instructor that I would make new friends, I would become more flexible and I would improve my fitness. To me, these things sounded clich??d. I thought the majority, if not all martial arts would try to tempt new students in with these, or very similar, claims.

Just because something sounds clich??d, does that mean that you need to avoid it? Is something being a clich?? a bad thing? Well no one, and no article, can tell you the answer to that. It has to be your own decision. You have to accept if you want to join a martial art, Taekwondo or otherwise, that you will most likely end up experiencing those typical clich??s.

For me personally, I do not mind having experienced those clich??s, as they have added to my life and to the experience of Taekwondo for me. I did not start because of the clich??s of making friends, becoming more flexible and improving my fitness level. I started because I wanted to learn a self-defence martial art. They typical clich??s, however, were aims that I also liked the sound of. If you want to start a martial art and do not want to achieve those clich??s, you will probably either not be very good or will have to work hard at being anti-social. The choice is yours!
mma_life

No comments:

Post a Comment